Teachers & Students
Let Us Help You Plan a Class Visit to the Library!
What We Can Offer You
- Story time
- Book talks
- Library orientation and tour
- Research assistance for specific topics
- Summer Reading programs
In addition to visiting the Library, ask us to visit your class, parent group, faculty meeting or special event.
Library Cards are the Key to a Lifetime of Learning
- Students who have their cards on the day of a visit may borrow materials, creating a more enjoyable experience.
- Library card applications are available in various languages at all Public Library locations, by fax or online.
- Children's applications must be completed and signed by a parent or legal guardian before they can be processed.
- Please return completed application in advance. Ask your librarian how much time is needed to have cards ready for your visit.
Tips for Successful Assignments
- Check with your children's librarian for resources available that can help you and your students
- Keep topics broad
- Accept the use of encyclopedias, library databases and other reference materials for assignments
- Ask students to draw their own illustrations or use photocopies of published materials
- Accept alternate titles and authors when assigned books are not available
- Consider the quality of the material, rather than the number of pages
- Ask your librarian for additional suggestions
Your class is always welcome to visit the Library. Librarians are anxious to work with you to plan your next library tour. Calling the children's librarian before you plan to visit helps avoid conflict with other group visits and regularly scheduled library programs. Please call Children and Youth Services at 415-557-4272 if you are not sure of the correct branch and someone will direct you to your local branch library. If you need to cancel your scheduled visit, please call and let us know.
Let's work together to coordinate your class visit!