The North Beach Branch Library was originally located at the site of the Chinatown Branch. That branch was renamed in 1958 and a new North Beach Branch was erected at 2000 Mason Street next to Joe DiMaggio Playground. It was completed on December 16, 1958, and opened to the public on February 5, 1959. Designed by architects Appleton & Wolford at a total cost of $220, 627, the branch was the 26th branch established by the San Francisco Public Library.
Mayor George Christopher Speaking At Dedication Of North Beach Branch Library