Library Typewriters & Word Processors
The Main Library has one typewriter for public use on the 5th floor in the Typewriter Room.
Every computer on the reservation system provides access to OpenOffice. Computer use is free (see below); printing costs 15¢ a page. The Chinatown Branch has computers that can produce Chinese characters.
Internet PCs are available at the Main Library and at all the branches. Please telephone the branch you intend to visit for information about rules and current availability.
Library users can sign up for Internet PCs via a computerized reservation system. On the Library's home page, click Reserve a Computer, enter your library card number without spaces, and click on the Submit button. In the Library, you may also sign up at Library Catalog PCs, which are marked with orange tags. There are also several 15 minute Express terminals throughout the Main Library which may be used without a library card.
Read the Reserving a Computer FAQ.
Public wireless network access (WiFi) is currently available at the Main Library (in all public areas) and at all neighborhood branches.
- Limitations & Disclaimers
- Check out Connecting to the Wireless Internet Network for help with different Operating Systems and Troubleshooting Network Settings
San Francisco Public Library, a department of the City & County of San Francisco, is providing wireless access as a public service free of charge subject to the terms and conditions of use as follows.
Limitations & Disclaimers
- Wireless access is provided to me as a public service free of charge on an as-is basis with no guarantee and no warranty.
- Information passing through the Library's wireless access is not secured and could be monitored, captured, or altered by others.
- It is my sole responsibility to protect my information from all risks associated with using the Internet, including any damage, loss, or theft that may occur as a result of my use of the Library's wireless access.
- Library staff is not able to provide technical assistance and assumes no responsibility for laptop configurations, security or changes to data files resulting from connection to the Library's network.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of equipment; users must keep their equipment with them at all times and may only use electrical outlets at public tables.
- In using this free Internet access, I agree and hereby release, indemnify, and hold harmless, the City and County of San Francisco, its officers and employees, and any affiliate, from any damage that may result in my use of this wireless access.
- While using this wireless access, I acknowledge that I am subject to, and agree to abide by all laws, and all rules and regulations of the City & County of San Francisco, the State of California, and the federal government that is applicable to Internet use.
- At its sole discretion, the City and County of San Francisco may terminate this public service at anytime without prior notice.
- Printing is not available via the wireless connection at this time.