Handsome Ioan Gruffudd portrays William Wilberforce, the man who led the campaign in Parliament against the slave trade in the British Empire. The title refers to the hymn, "Amazing Grace," written by former slave ship captain John Newton--played by Albert Finney--who repented of his former profession and urged Wilberforce to take up the cause of abolition. The lovely Romola Garai portrays William's wife, Barbara, and the versatile Benedict Cumberbatch plays his friend, Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger. Talented Youssou N'Dour appears as African-British abolitionist Olaudah Equiano. The showing of the film observes Human Trafficking Prevention Month.
Free popcorn will be served.
- OWL: Older Writers Laboratory
- Monday, March 10, 2014Bernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
- Aging & Disability Resource Center
- Monday, March 10, 2014Richmond/Senator Milton Marks, Richmond Meeting Room
- Films for Adults - The Bourne Identity (2002)
- Monday, March 10, 2014Golden Gate Valley, Golden Gate Valley Meeting Room