This lecture, demonstration, and tasting session will outline the
processes and techniques of vinegar-brined pickles (both canned and
quick), and fermented pickles, and offer useful tips for the home DIY
enthusiast. And as time permits, we'll also discuss some of the more
peculiar pickling possibilities from the fringes of preserved fruits
and vegetables - soy sauce pickling, nuka (rice bran) pickling beds,
salt-cured pickles, and Electric Kool-Aid pickles. Bring your
questions and your pickling passion!
Karen Solomon is the author of Jam It, Pickle it, Cure It; Can It, Bottle It, Smoke It; and the Asian Pickles e-cookbook and print cookbook series. In addition, Karen has written about pickling and food preservation for a host of publications, including Saveur.com, The Blender (the blog of Williams Sonoma), Fine Cooking, Prevention, Yoga Journal, Vegetarian Times, and the San Francisco Chronicle. When no one is looking, she drinks pickle brine by the shot.
- An Evening of Poetry With Daphne Gottlieb
- Tuesday, March 11, 2014Eureka Valley/Harvey Milk Memorial, Eureka Valley General Floor Area
- Radar Reading Series
- Wednesday, March 12, 2014Main Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B
- Great Books Reading Group
- Tuesday, March 18, 2014Sunset, Sunset Children's Area