On New Year's Eve, 1866, Professor Risley arrived in San Francisco from Yokohama, Japan. He was accompanied by the Imperial Japanese Troupe of acrobats and performers. Risley was a famous acrobat in his own right.
In this presentation heavily illustrated with photographs and drawings, award-winning author Frederik L. Schodt will reveal the incredible but true story of Risley and his troupe, who gave the world one of its first glimpses of Japanese popular culture.
Professor Risley and the imperial Japanese troupe: how an American acrobat introduced circus to Japan, and Japan to the West.
- An Evening of Poetry With Daphne Gottlieb
- Martes 11 de Marzo de 2014Eureka Valley/Harvey Milk Memorial, Eureka Valley: Área Principal
- Radar Reading Series
- Miércoles 12 de Marzo de 2014Biblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B
- The Evolving Chinese Dress, 1909-1973
- Miércoles 12 de Marzo de 2014Merced, Merced: Área Principal