Yone Noguchi, the father of acclaimed artist Isamu Noguchi, had at least four simultaneous affairs at the turn of the century. As he shared kisses with Kosen Takahashi, he also professed love to Charles Warren Stoddard, impregnated Leonie Gilmour, and proposed marriage to Ethel Armes. What would these interracial, same-sex, and intergenerational affairs mean about race, nation and sexuality in America more than 100 years ago?
Amy Sueyoshi is the author of Queer Compulsions: Race, Nation, and Sexuality in the Affairs of Yone Noguchi. She holds a Ph.D. in history from UCLA and has published on a number of topics ranging from cross-dressing, same-sex marriage and Asian American pornography. She is the Associate Dean of the College of Ethnic Studies at San Francisco State University and is also on the board of directors of the GLBT Historical Society.
- An Evening of Poetry With Daphne Gottlieb
- Tuesday, March 11, 2014Eureka Valley/Harvey Milk Memorial, Eureka Valley General Floor Area
- Radar Reading Series
- Wednesday, March 12, 2014Main Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B
- In Sickness As In Health:
- Saturday, March 22, 2014Sunset, Sunset Children's Area